Welcome to the online home of ASPPA’s Plan Consultant magazine!
Plan Consultant is a quarterly magazine designed to help retirement plan professionals improve their skills, enhance their knowledge, and conduct their business in a way that is professional, ethical, efficient and creative. Written by industry leaders and experienced retirement planning professionals, Plan Consultant provides timeless and practical, how-to processes and case studies that retirement professionals can use in their own practices. Articles are readable, practical, concise, accessible, and in some cases, inspirational.
SECURE 2.0 was enacted on the cusp of 2023. It’s complex and confusing — but also filled with opportunity. In this issue’s cover story, John Sullivan and Nevin E. Adams,JD take a look at what retirement professionals should watch for in the new law. In our feature articles, John Ortman discusses how industry executives are meeting current staffing challenges, Chad Johansen offers best practices in training programs, and Brandon Long and Brian Beatty discuss the EPCRS and how to fix operational errors.
The Spring issue also features insights from industry thought leaders:
- Plan amendment best practices, as well as marketing insights, by Theresa Conti and Shannon Edwards
- A look at heightened SEC activity by Stan Prybe and Gary Blachman
- A discussion by Steve Keating and George Ekanian of what’s next concerning the pandemic and future PRT mortality
- Sheryl Stucky’s look at the new LTPT employee rules
- The team at 401KInABox with a discussion of solo DB plan reporting
- A discussion of the timing of selling by Theresa Conti, Linda Chadbourne and Jim Racine
- Amanda Iverson’s discussion about streamlining success
- A reminder from John Iekel about the importance of an employer remembering the three Rs: recruitment, retention and retirement
- Insights concerning working with plan sponsors from Michael Kirschman, Jeff Atwell, Kimberly Shaw Elliott, and Thomas E. Clark, Jr.
- Lauren Bloom’s examination of ethics and keeping control of work products
- Jeff Atwell’s discussion of education and ecosystem evolution
- A discussion of success in employee referrals by Megan Crawford
You’ll also find commentary from American Retirement Association CEO Brian Graff and calls to action by Barbara Giesing, ASPPA President Justin Bonestroo, and ARA Government Affairs Officer Will Hansen.
You can browse the digital edition of the Spring 2023 issue below or by clicking here.
For more information about the print edition of Plan Consultant, select a link:
- Archive of Past Plan Consultant Issues
- PC Continuing Education Quizzes
- The ASPPA Journal Online Archive
We’re always looking for ways to enhance and expand Industry Intel. Got a good idea? Please share it with us — contact Joey Santos-Jones.